Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Trip Never Taken: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Step One: Desire

Nature was always a gift I cherished. I lived for the fresh smell of autumn shaded forests. Or conquering mountains dotted by squat barrow cacti. If for no other reason than life; nature was captivating. Of course, with this love of nature came a need for exploration. Something new was needed, mankind has stepped on the moon, the least I could do was step outside Arizona.

Step Two: Discourse

"Why was this trip so important?" I was asked many times, friends and family were curious why this was so imperative. To those inquiring minds, California meant beaches, San Diego, Los Angeles, and the soul sucking attraction that is Disneyland. My wholly unsatisfactory explanations told them this trip was my pilgrimage, my Mecca. I literally had dreams of the Redwood Forest through my life. My thought process was if I don't go now, I may get boggled down with this "life" thing I kept hearing about.

For the first time, I had no idea what was next. Fifteen years of schooling was mercifully drawing to a close. Though during those years, I always had the next educational step planned out. Junior high, high school, and the expectation of college, these were safe, predictable choices. Now that step plateaued, leaving an exhilarating landscape for exploration. It was scary. The Redwoods, in my mind, marked the beginning of exploring that plateau.

Step Three: ???

Hour seven into my drive I was seriously questioning my pilgrimage. While it wasn't cold enough to snow, I was in desperate need of a heater. I was wearing three layers of shirts, a jacket, long-johns, and of course sandals. I love me some cold feet. Also the radio was broken, so I had to loop my only tape. Honestly, there's only so many times a man can listen to Pat Benatar before he's convinced the shadows of the night are stalking him. I assume I blacked out during hour nine. I can't remember the rest of the drive.

Step Four: Profit!

Finally I came to, recognized my surroundings as a hotel, located a map and set off. An easy twenty minutes later I spotted a pre-historic sized tree. Then suddenly, as if playing a magical game of peek-a-boo, the trees gave way to the Redwoods.

Walking in Eden

My senses were now thoughts. I saw the unbridled beauty of nature. I tasted the crisp scent unleashed by antiquated trees: heard beams of sunlight navigate branches, and felt all religions God. This was heaven. And it was good.

Drifting through the forest was like exploring Eden. The Redwoods seemed impervious to society, raising to such great heights as to say, "Look at me, I'm older than you can possibly imagine. Who are you to stand next to me?" Every Redwood was more alive than any of us, entire cultures of species called each one home. Perspective is a powerful thing. Unfortunately, there's a reason this post is titled, "A Trip Never Taken."

No comments:

Post a Comment