Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Prompt 22: Nerdgasm

“So,” I begin with a hint of mockery, “what’s a night like playing Dungeons and Dragons?” His eyes light up like a child talking to Santa, pausing his new Capcom versus Marvel 3, “Fantastical.” His expressions gives way to interest in the game, “Kinda like when our whole group hangs out. Except with a dungeon master and mildly expensive vodka.” Scotty H. everybody. I nonchalantly comment, “So it’s just the epitome of classy” Nodding his head in agreement, “Yeah man, pretty much.”

Between games of his character Phoenix utterly dominating my ass, I poke further into his world. “Like, is there some kind of super nerd ceremony to start the night?” “Not really.” He takes a moment before selecting Wolverine, “Well, there is this one thing.” He fingers his long curly pirate hair behind his ear and smirks a bit, “When we get the game and everything set up, we all stand and say the name of our character, then down a shot of vodka.” He gets up to demonstrate for me, “Like I would say, ‘Zell the Stalker Shaman!’” Scott held his arm out in a salute, “and drink some of that happy juice.” On the same beat I ask “Semen?” His face turns into a sarcastic sour smile, “Oh yeah semen bro, gotta have my semen.”

“You’re probably gonna ask what we do next, since you’re an asshole like that.” He says with an expressionless gaze. With a shrug and quick giggle I reply, “Well, yeah…” Throughout our conversation, Scott gives his responses as an afterthought. Only perking up when something unusually nerdy slips out. Normally giving a description of D&D would result in a plethora of awkward moments for the listener. Fortunately, I name my blog for a reference to an 80’s movie, so it flows fairly smoothly. “What I’m trying to tell you,” A look of fake enlightenment flashes on his face, “is because I play Dungeons and Dragons, I’m like trendier than you.” Which is probably true. Scott was a hipster before they were trendy. He scoffed at mainstream bands long before they had evolved from their emo phase. Looking at him with his little vest and dick-ish glasses, I reply.

“You're just more cultural than I am."
"Girl, I know it." Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment